Goa Pro League 2019/19: Late flurry sees FC Goa record a 3-0 win over Guardian Angels


FC Goa remain stretch lead at the top to 7 points

Goa Khabar: A flurry of goals late in the game helped FC Goa to a 3-0 win over Guardian Angels here in Navelim. The win, their seventh of the season from nine games, takes the Gaurs to 23 points from.

It was substitute Aaren De Silva who turned the game on its head late on. The forward gave FC Goa the opener in the 82nd minute of the contest and then later helped set up Goa’s third to round off a gritty performance.

Liston Colaco and Imran Khan were on the mark as well.

FC Goa started and ended the first forty-five as the real enforcers. Liston went close to opening the scoring twice in the first 10 minutes before the Gaurs finally found the back of the net in the 26th minute of the game via Saviour Gama. However, it was ticked off as the ball was deemed to have crossed the line before Kapil Hoble could pull it back from the right.

Gama was again on the mark eight minutes later as he headed in an inch-perfect delivery from Princeton Rebello from the corner. The referee, though, again blew his whistle to deny FC Goa the opener. It was Meldon, who was deemed to be the culprit this time as the referee adjudged a push in the penalty box from the defender.

It was Gama making all the headlines in the first half as it was again him at the centre of attention in added on time.  The nimble-footed winger was spot on with his anticipation as he reached the ball first after the Guardian’s keeper had fumbled Liston’s well-taken free-kick. However, to the dismay of many, he put the header over the bar with only the keeper to beat.

The second half saw the home side come more into the game. They, however, failed to register any serious interest on goal.

The game changed in the final minutes for FC Goa with the introduction of Aaren De Silva.  The lanky forward helped FC Goa take the lead with a diving header to direct the ball into the back of the net off Liston’s cross.

Liston doubled the lead a few minutes later after the forward cut in from the left before unleashing a shot that caught the goalkeeper at the near post.

The icing on the cake was put on in added-on time when Imran completed the rout. A brilliant turn saw Aaren get the better of his defender before he played in Kingslee on the left. Kingslee, on his part, kept his cool and pulled the ball back into the middle. Imran latched on to the opportunity and gave the Gaurs their third with an emphatic finish.

FC Goa remains unbeaten in the league after 9 games played with 7 wins and 2 draws to their name. They currently lead the table, 7 points ahead of Sporting Clube De Goa.

The Gaurs will be back in action in the Goa Pro League on 12 December when they host Churchill Brothers at the Duler Stadium. That game is scheduled for a 3:45 pm start.